Current:Home > MyDisney posts solid Q1 results thanks to its theme parks and cost cuts -Capitatum
Disney posts solid Q1 results thanks to its theme parks and cost cuts
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 03:36:47
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The Walt Disney Co. on Wednesday posted stronger-than-expected earnings for the final three months of 2023, boosted by cost cuts and growing revenue from its theme parks business.
CEO Bob Iger said the company is on track to make its streaming services profitable. Helping on this front could be upcoming programming such as Taylor Swift’s “The Eras Tour (Taylor’s Version)” making its streaming debut on Disney+ in March. Disney also announced a sequel to “Moana” coming to theaters this November. And it plans to launch a stand-alone ESPN streaming service in 2025 — different from the sports streaming platform it plans to launch this fall in a joint venture with Fox and Warner Bros. Discovery.
Disney earned $1.91 billion, or $1.04 per share, in its fiscal first quarter. That’s up 49% from $1.28 billion, or 70 cents per share, in the same period a year earlier. Excluding one-time accounting items, the company earned $1.22 per share in the latest quarter.
Revenue was $23.55 billion, roughly the same as last year’s $23.51 billion.
Analysts, on average, were expecting earnings of 99 cents per share on revenue of $23.7 billion, according to a poll by FactSet.
Disney said it is making “significant cost reductions” and reduced its selling, general and other operations expenses by $500 million in the latest quarter. The company cut thousands of jobs in 2023.
The quarter’s results will strengthen Iger’s hand as he tries to guide the company to streaming profitability, said Insider Intelligence analyst Paul Verna. He added that Disney’s goal of making its streaming business profitable by the end of the year “bodes well for Disney’s stock to break out of a years-long slump, and for Iger’s ability to fend off pressure from activist investors who are looking to reshuffle the board and influence succession planning.”
Disney said it lost 1.3 million core subscribers to its Disney+ streaming service during the quarter, but it made more money from each subscriber due to price hikes for the service. It expects to add up to 6 million subscribers in the current quarter.
The company based in Burbank, California, said its theme parks business saw record revenue and operating income during the quarter.
“Our strong performance this past quarter demonstrates we have turned the corner and entered a new era for our company, focused on fortifying ESPN for the future, building streaming into a profitable growth business, reinvigorating our film studios, and turbocharging growth in our parks and experiences,” Iger said in a statement.
Disney also announced it is paying $1.5 billion for a stake in “Fortnite” maker Epic Games, working with the game developer to create a “games and entertainment universe” that will feature games, shows and characters from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, Avatar and more.
“This marks Disney’s biggest entry ever into the world of games and offers significant opportunities for growth and expansion,” Iger said.
The company also plans to buy back up to $3 billion of its stock in fiscal 2024 and declared a cash dividend of 45 cents per share payable to shareholders in July.
Shares of Disney jumped 7% in extended trading after the results came out.
veryGood! (734)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- FBI says Alex Murdaugh lied about where money stolen from clients went and who helped him steal
- A giant ship. A power blackout. A scramble to stop traffic: How Baltimore bridge collapsed
- NFL to play Christmas doubleheader despite holiday landing on Wednesday in 2024
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- 2 pilots taken to hospital after Army helicopter crashes during training in Washington state
- Princess Kate is getting 'preventive chemotherapy': Everything we know about it
- New concussion guidelines could get athletes back to exercise, school earlier
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Why did the NFL change the kickoff rule and how will it be implemented?
Ranking
- Average rate on 30
- Jimmer Fredette among familiar names selected for USA men’s Olympic 3x3 basketball team
- Nevada Supreme Court will take another look at Chasing Horse’s request to dismiss sex abuse charges
- What Lamar Odom Would Say to Ex Khloe Kardashian Today
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Cases settled: 2 ex-officials of veterans home where 76 died in the pandemic avoid jail time
- Illinois helps schools weather critical teaching shortage, but steps remain, study says
- Suspect's release before Chicago boy was fatally stabbed leads to prison board resignations
Recommendation
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
Fast wireless EV charging? It’s coming.
Nevada Supreme Court will take another look at Chasing Horse’s request to dismiss sex abuse charges
How to watch surprise 5th episode of 'Quiet on Set' featuring Drake Bell and other stars
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
Activists forming human chain in Nashville on Covenant school shooting anniversary
Sean Diddy Combs' LA and Miami homes raided by law enforcement, officials say
Here's how to turn off your ad blocker if you're having trouble streaming March Madness